Jo Coenen & Co.
Cinemas and theatres
Located a stone’s throw away from Holt & Bijvoet’s town theatre of 1953-1964, this ‘arts cluster’ combines a concert hall seating 800 and spaces for the conservatoire and dance academy. The ear-shaped concert hall thrusts up several metres above the 58 x 58 metres perimeter block. An elongated feature clad in corrugated sheet (the dance academy) links this block with the modest rectangular conservatoire, lifted into space to afford a way through to the former monastery garden. Wood panelling and glass grace the facades of both perimeter block and conservatoire, whether in combination or individually.