Willem Marinus Dudok
Yvonne van der Pluijm
Y.P.J. van der Pluijm (EGM) (rest. 1994-1996)
Dudok in Hilversum
Cemetery De Zuiderhof
Willem Marinus Dudok was first director of Public Works (1915-1928) and then City Architect to Hilversum (1928-1954). In both capacities he set an indelible stamp on the architecture and planning in that city. Obviously this is most legible in the monumental, visually defining city hall which has become almost synonymous with Hilversum. But his many housing projects, schools and other municipal buildings have exerted a more fundamental influence. Among the few Dudok buildings in a functionalist-modernist idiom may be included this cemetery and the Wildschut pavilion (1936). It is in this cemetery, tautly organized rather than in the traditional landscape style and with a white-rendered abstract pavilion cum caretaker's lodge, that the master lies buried.