Apon, Van den Berg, Ter Braak, Tromp
Auke de Vries
This cruciform ministry building sits diagonally on the restricted site, so that as much of the office space as possible faces outwards. Able to hold some 1200 civil servants, it comprises two storeys for parking, two for general use, eight for offices and two for plant, with the main service areas at the intersection. The stepped construction of the storeys, tapering of fronts and dominating, clad concrete frame give the whole a sculptural quality.