The above-ground building for the Nulland mineshaft is one of the few surviving remnants of the coalmining past of the province of Zuid-Limburg. Originally the structure served purely as a ventilation shaft. In 1921 it was additionally equipped for transport and the distinctive ascending structural support built against the central tower. The result is a miracle of concrete sculpture whose engineering functionalism produced an unintentional aesthetic effect; an industrial monument in the truest sense of the word. Since 1986 the building has served as a studio.