MUSEUM OF FIGURATIVE ART
ALBERTS & VAN HUUT, 1990-1996, Hoofdweg 76, Eelde
Max van Huut
Alberts & Van Huut
Copijn Tuin- en Landschapsarchitectuur
Museums and exhibition buildings
In 1990 the psychologists Janneke and Jos van Groeningen founded De Buitenplaats, a private museum for figurative art. Six years later a building to house the collection was erected next to the couple’s own house (Het Nijsinghhuis, the former town hall of Eelde). The new premises comprise an exhibition zone that gets its daylight through slits in the roof and large glass doors on the north side, a waterside stage and a reception area. Ton Alberts, working with landscape designer Copijn, created a half-sunken pavilion of ‘organic’ shape with a grass roof that joins up with the garden. The garden design broadly speaking sticks to the original on-site layout with apple orchard of the former ‘buitenplaats’ or country seat dating from 1654.