Gasthuislaan 2, Steenwijk
Dolf van Gendt JGzn.
Adolf le Comte
PUBLICATIONS:Architectuur en stedebouw in Overijssel 1850-1940, 1991; F. van Burkom e.a. (red) - Leven in toen, 2001; D. Keuning, L.Lansink - A.L. van Gendt, J.G. van Gendt, A.D.N. van Gendt. Architecten in Zaken, 1999
The estate the wealthy Salco Tromp Meesters passed on to his son Jan Hendrik was a handsomely sited expanse of ground. Following a competition the latter had the Amsterdam architect A.L. van Gendt build an Art Nouveau villa on it. Surrounding the villa is a park in English landscape style laid out to a design by the landscape architect Copijn. The interior is graced with a wealth of decoration including several very fine ceilings and mural paintings by Co Breman. In 1918 Steenwijk municipality bought the villa and converted it into a Municipal Hall. In the grounds stands a monument to the liberation by the Steenwijk-born sculptor Hildo Krop.