|MAP - IMAGES -|
SATIJNPLUS ARCHITECTEN, 2003-2005, Kruisherengang 19-23, Maastricht
Hotels, cafés, restaurants
The church and monastery, dating from 1438, of the Order of the Holy Cross have been converted into a swish design hotel; a remarkable confrontation between old and new, frugality and luxury. The 60 hotel rooms are housed in the monastery, a porter's lodge and a new Corten steel pavilion of three luxury suites. All other components - the reception, the lobby, a wine bar, lounges and a mezzanine restaurant seating 85 and reached by a glass lift - are discrete interior elements in the church space. Some additions make for a stark contrast, such as the brass entrance arch, the UFO-like lights, the lift and the oviform reception area.