LAURENSKERK ROTTERDAM (EXTENSION)
W.G. QUIST, 1976-1981, Grotekerkplein 25, Rotterdam
Five black stone-clad cubes constitute the extension to the Laurenskerk which was badly damaged in the 1940 bombardment and since restored. The position and scale of the almost completely sealed cubes are geared to the side elevation of the church, the connections to which are executed in glass. The cubes, too, are thus interlinked so as not to obscure the height of the church windows behind.