ADMINISTRATIVE BUILDING; MEETING-HOUSE THEOSOPHISCHE VERENIGING
BRINKMAN & VAN DER VLUGT, 1928; 1925-1929; 1927, Tolstraat 154-160, Amsterdam
Brinkman & Van der Vlugt
Leen van der Vlugt
This meeting-house for the Theosophical Society has the form of a quadrant with its roof sloping up towards the centre of the imaginary circle containing it, supported by radially placed arched trusses. Daylight enters throught tilted vertical strips of fenestration high up in the two straight walls. In 1984 the building was recast as a library, keeping as close as possible to its original state. The administrative block to its right is still in use as a library and as the premises of the society's Amsterdam lodge.