OFFICE BUILDING HEINEKEN DURA
W. KROMHOUT CZN., 1922-1932, Crooswijksesingel, Linker Rottekade, Rotterdam
Willem Kromhout Czn.
Rob van Erk
Van den Broek & Bakema
In 1873 the Heineken company opened a brewery where the river Rotte meets Crooswijksesingel. From 1922 on, Kromhout constructed the tall brewhouse, the main brewery block and an office building. In 1968 Heineken relocated to a modern complex in Zoeterwoude and the factory buildings were demolished to make way for housing. In 1980 the distinctive brewhouse was recast as an office building for the Dura general contracting company. Kromhout's brewery office is an elongated building that terminates with an upward thrust at the stair hall. Its brick facade, monumental stair hall and colourful tile patterns in the interior reveal the influence of Art Deco.