ROWING CLUB DE HOOP
A. KOMTER, 1950-1952, Weesperzijde 65a, Amsterdam
Arons & Gelauff
Arons & Gelauff (uitbr. 2008-2010)
Built in 1952 to replace Michel de Klerk's earlier rowing club building destroyed in the Second World War, these new premises deploy a concrete structure in a basic square grid, visible in the facades amidst the decorative brick planes. Its functional plan admits to a few playful touches such as the pitched roofs above the changing rooms, the freestanding stairs, the rooftop canteen and the 'crow's-nest'.