|MAP - IMAGES -|
Abram van der Heijden
Vrouwe Groenevelt's Liefdegesticht (Almshouses)
In 1814, an ensemble of almshouses for Protestant widows or spinsters above the age of 50 was funded from the estate of the siblings Anthony and Anthonetta Kuyl and built in the grounds of their country estate on the river Schie. Problems with the foundations arose when that part of the Schie was filled in after the war; there was also the fact that the St Franciscus hospital had plans to expand. In 1968 the main building was dismantled brick by brick and brought to its new home on ’s-Gravenweg. Neoclassicist in design, it included a trustees' room and caretaker's lodgings. A new, larger courtyard was built behind the main building which is now used by a catering company.