H.H. Seelen (oorspr. ontw. 1903)
An elliptic glass-roofed space forms the heart of this conversion of nineteenth century Neo-Classical premises into a bank branch. A void rising from the basement containing the strong room separates the public area from the offices at the rear. Both plan and section obey the Classical tripartite division. Through its form -and by providing the columns and horizontal strip around the void with edgings of glazed brick - this space, otherwise executed in steel and white rendering, constitutes a successful synthesis of Classicism and Modernism.