|MAP - IMAGES -|
Hendrik Pieter Berlage
Museums and exhibition buildings
The commission for a town hall for this modest municipality (1700 inhabitants) was given a broad interpretation by Berlage. Making the council chamber on the first floor one module higher, adding a tower and building in materials foreign to the area resulted in a more representational appearance than was requested. Tower and entrance face the road, whereas the main mass follows the obliqueness of the site. The structure is traditional, the finish highly detailed. A council reshuffle relieved the building of its town hall duties and it now contains offices.