Merkelbach & Karsten
Buildings for TV and radio
Broadcasting Studios AVRO (Extension 1940)
The architecture of these broadcasting studios was largely determined by functional requirements, acoustics and soundproofing. Extensive testing resulted in trapezium-shaped studios constructed of discrete, individually founded brick partitions. The shape of the studios led naturally to a radial plan and a distinct articulation in the facade. An extension dating from 1940 by the same architects exhibits a more flamboyant, decorative architecture, characteristic of the crisis that overtook functionalism at the end of the 1930s. Its original occupant, the AVRO broadcasting company, has since moved together with the KRO and NCRV to new premises, the AKN building designed by Jan Hoogstad in the Media Park.