Willem Cornelis Metzelaar
Formerly housing the district courts, this building was designed by W.C. Metzelaar who was appointed architectural engineer for prisons and courthouses in 1883. Built in neo-Renaissance style, its symmetrical facade sports decorative yellow brickwork with freestone dressings. Behind it lies an earlier work, A.C. Pierson's prison complex of 1872, reached through a gateway in the courthouse with statues of Justitia, a sage and a supplicant atop its pediment. In 1996 the law courts moved to new premises at Kop van Zuid.