Gerrit Jan de Jongh
Civil engineering works
PUBLICATIONS:R. Daalder e.a. - Werkstad, 1985; J. Stout - Spanjaardsbrug, een technisch monument in Rotterdam, 1987; G. Bouma, M. Struijs, S. Thissen (red.) - Het Groot Rotterdamse Bruggenboek, 2005
Bridge Jan Kuiten
There has been a bridge here since 1595. The present one (Spanjaardsbrug) was built in 1886 to a design by the then City Architect G.J. de Jongh. Its individual parts used to be operated by water power. Clean water was let in to activate pistons on both side of the bridge. Coals fires in the cellar were used in winter to stop the water from freezing. This system was later exchanged for a tank with an electric pump. Threatened with demolition in the early 1970s, the bridge was restored in 1984 after Oudehaven was given a new lease of life. Four brass lamps were reconstructed in aluminium for the occasion. It is the sole surviving hydraulic bascule bridge of the seven originally built.