Museums and exhibition buildings
Public Records Office Rotterdam
The Schielandshuis was designed by the Rotterdam linen merchant and historian Jacob Lois in association with the renowned architect Pieter Post. It was built in 1665 to domicile the Schieland Water Control Board, which had its origins in the 13th century. It was gutted by fire in 1864 and subsequently rebuilt. Alteration work done in 1981-85 was aimed equally at restoring the Schielandshuis as faithfully as possible. The only surviving 17th-century building in the centre, the Schielandshuis has housed in succession the municipal archive, the Boijmans Museum, the Academy of Fine Arts and its present incumbent, the Rotterdam Historical Museum.