REMONSTRANT CHURCH ROTTERDAM (ARMINIUS)
H.J. EVERS, J.P. STOK WZN., 1895-1897, Westersingel 76/Museumpark 3, Rotterdam
Jacobus Pieter Stok Wzn.
Louis de Contini
The Remonstrant Church gained this new austerely eclectic building in 1897. Occupying an elongated site, its plan is that of a Greek cross with one arm shortened. The main entrance faces the water, with the bell tower occupying the corner. The large main space has high galleries and a timber roof. Art Nouveau elements - lamps, cast-iron pillars, L. de Contini's leaded windows - grace the interior. Also of note are the organ in the Late Romantic tradition, the restored Committee Room and the 17th-century Council Room. The building's present incumbent is Arminius, a platform for art, culture and debate. It is named after Jacobus Arminius, founder of the Remonstrant body of thought and featured in the centremost medallion in the mosaic in the side wall.