A.N. GODEFROY, 1849-1851, Willemskade 25, Rotterdam
Frederik Arnold Koch
Museums and exhibition buildings
The premises of the present World Arts Museum were originally built for the Royal Netherlands Yacht Club, founded in 1846. The clubhouse was built on a triangular site and has a rounded corner crowned with a small tower. Its exterior is dominated by groups of round-headed windows. Balconies with cast-iron railings on the first and second floors run the full length of the facades. The lower balconies are decorated with maritime symbols such as ships, shells and tridents, with ships' prows embellishing the walls. A gold mermaid looks out from the top of the corner tower. In 2000 this was enlarged with two neighbouring premises on Willemskade. The office building of Hudig & Veder at number 23 by F.A. Koch dates from 1904 and has exquisite tile pictures of Rotterdam scenes in its Art Nouveau facade.