ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH ROTTERDAM (SINT DOMINICUS)
E.H.A. & H.M.J.H. KRAAIJVANGER, 1957-1960, Hang 17, Rotterdam
Pim van Moorsel
This church, clearly visible from Hoogstraat, was originally intended as an oasis of quiet in the hectic city centre, as much for the those living in the centre as shoppers and workers passing by. The main church space seating 560 has a concrete frame; elsewhere the design provided structural walls. A row of columns forms a gallery on each side of the main space. One row extends the full height of the space; the other is only one storey high and is part of the covered walk round a rectangular courtyard containing a hexagonal baptistery. The raised altar can also serve the modest day chapel seating 130.