|MAP - IMAGES -|
Jacobus Pieter Stok Wzn.
The 'Westerkadehuis' is the former headquarters of the Coal Trading Association founded in 1896. The 26 metre tall symmetrical building expresses with its restrained stone facade that company's strength and dignity. The rounded corner is topped off with a small tower and a balcony above the entrance; a tall pointed gable terminates the building at each end. A quartet of Atlantes, supports in the form of carved male figures, bear aloft the balcony and mark the entrance: two figures carry coal, one figure has a shovel and one a drill. The walls and ceiling of the entrance hall are magnificently decorated with turquoise ceramic tiles, some moulded in relief. Since 1984 the building has housed numerous offices and now has a glass lift.