POST-WAR RECONSTRUCTION OOSTBURG
F.H. KLOKKE, 1944-1956, Burchtstraat, Ledelplein e.o., Oostburg
The west of Zeeuws-Vlaanderen in Zeeland was badly hit in the Second World War, the village of Oostburg being almost entirely destroyed. Most of the war-damaged villages were rebuilt in traditionalist style. The street layout drawn up by the Middelburg architect F.H. Klokke deviates somewhat from the original. For one thing, the old market, whose activities had caused much inconvenience in Straatweg before the bombardment, was moved to its own market square. A second square meeting the first at right angles is dominated by the magistrates court and tax office designed by Friedhoff in his capacity as Government Architect (Ledelplein 8, 1952-1953). The new theatre (Ledeltheater, Ledelplein 17, L.W. Rosenkranz, 1955-1956)) sports a melange of classical and traditional elements typical of post-WWII reconstruction architecture. The concrete canopy uniting the premises on the main street in a shopping arcade, has since been demolished.