Piet Verhagen Lzn.
Jan de Ranitz
Stadhuis Middelburg (herbouw en uitbreiding)
On May 17th 1940 the centre of Middelburg was almost entirely destroyed by a German bombing raid. The masterplan to reconstruct it, drawn up in 1941, sought to retain the characteristic ambience of this historic town. Keeping largely to the old street pattern, it restored the key monuments and developed new-build in traditionalist style. Any variation came from the architecture and from rebuilding one plot at a time, giving an illusion of growth over the years. Traffic is led round the centre along a ring road, freeing the market square (Markt) and main streets for retail, recreational and tourist activities. The largely gutted Late Gothic town hall was reconstructed and enlarged in the locally prevailing style by A.J. van der Steur. The Abbey (Abdij), a medieval monastery complex then housing Zeeland's provincial government, was restored by Berghoef who also designed the Polderhuis (Nieuwe Burg 42) for the polder authorities.