Between 1913 and 1919 Berlage was on the payroll of the Kröller-Müllers. The first commission from this wealthy couple was for a 'modern' model farm for their eldest son who ran the family estate in Drente. The ensemble occupies a square plot of land closed off on one side by a wall with an entryway punched in its centre. On the other side is the dwelling-house, with two rows of barns and stables set square to it so as to define a C in plan. The exterior of brick walls and slate roofs is restrained; inside, the brick walls are enlivened by cut stone and ceramic ornaments.