Herman de Roos
De Roos & Overeijnder
The present left-hand part of this office building was built for the Van Uden shipping company in 1909-1910. In 1915 the premises were doubled in size in the same style. The director, C. van 't Hoff, lived on the second and third floors. There is a cast-iron bay window and marine references of all kinds including a ship's prow, sea horses and other fish. The interior is opulently decorated in a restrained style that recalls Berlage with trough vaults, timber wainscoting and coffered ceilings and a large leaded window in the stairwell. On the first floor is a boardroom with a marble mantelpiece and Art Nouveau ornaments. In 1915 the same architects realized the Van Driel building on Noordereiland.