F.A.W. van der Togt
Hotels, cafés, restaurants
Originally the odd man out at 36 metres tall, this pre-war hotel built to replace a café-restaurant of that name looked ahead to the post-war scaling-up in the city and indirectly brought about the double building line along Coolsingel in the plans to reconstruct. It was joined in 1950 by a new wing of additional hotel rooms on Aert van Nesstraat. The hotel was enlarged and remodelled in 1965 by Groosman Partners, its hefty concrete panels tending to clash with the varied architecture of the rest. They also replaced the original café-restaurant and bodega with an underground passage lined with retail space. Despite all these changes, the original mix of Art Deco and modernism is still discernible in the roof structure.