In 1890 an association devoted to advancing working-class accommodation commissioned two housing blocks. Each block contains 16 downstairs and 16 upstairs units. The entrances to upper and lower dwellings are not set together as is usual but are on opposite sides of the block and accessed by footpaths running along the blocks. Every dwelling unit has access to a small garden opposite the front door on the other side of the path. The long sides are couched in the language of restraint and consist of repeating windows and doors. The head elevations by contrast are exuberantly decorated in an eclectic mix of revival styles with a dash of Art Nouveau.